Bleachbit 0.8.3 and 0.8.4 portable on Win7 won't start

Forums: 

Hi,

I get this Traceback when starting the portable version both as Standard User and with UAC prompt for admin;

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bleachbit.py", line 29, in
ImportError: No module named os

Thank you for reporting this. That is strange. The os module is an essential, basic part of Python, the language in which BleachBit is written, and I do not remember making any changes which would cause this.

I just tried BleachBit 0.8.4 as a standard user and with elevated privileges to the UAC on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium with Microsoft Security Essentials, and it starts OK. A few questions

1. Are you using the installed or portable version?
2. Which antivirus /security software do you use?
3. Does the antivirus have a log? Did it log an action related to this?
4. Can you disable the antivirus or put it into game mode?
5. Did any previous version of BleachBit work? Which one?

#3 and #4 refer to both the installation process and running the application. It's possible the antivirus blocked part of the installation, or maybe the antivirus is blocking part of the startup of the application.

---
Andrew, lead developer

1. Are you using the installed or portable version?
as the subject states, the portable version ;-)

It's not related to my Security software, I tried to run the Installer version and that worked, next I decided to compare directories for installer v.s. portable and found out that the lib*.* files where missing on the portable version.

I replicated the extraction and copy procedure and it seems that TrueCopy copy handler leaves those files in the extraction folder for some reason, so it's not BB's fault.

I copied the lib*.* to the portable folder and now it works.
Thanks.

Hmm, I verified here the lib*.dll files are in the portable .zip file.

What is TrueCopy?

---
Andrew, lead developer

Seems I slipped, it's TeraCopy
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

For some reason it keeps exactly the lib*.* files in the extraction folder on my system.