How to add Chrome to BB in Xubuntu 12.04?

Forums: 
Forum tags: 

Using BB in both Windows XP and Xubuntu 12.04. In Windows I installed Comodo Dragon and BB recognized it immediately as Chrome, which is correct. In Xubuntu, I installed Chrome but it doesn't show up on the apps selection to be cleaned. What am I doing wrong?

Are you using BleachBit version 1.2 on Xubuntu 12.04? If not, please upgrade using the download from this web site (bleachbit.sourceforge.net).

Second, in Linux do you know how to check whether this folder has your Google Chrome files: ~/.config/google-chrome ? If you need more help figuring that out, let me know.

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

I am using version 1.2 and ~/.config folder has "chromium" not "chrome".

Linux Mint Cinnamon 20. 0 64bit

ineuw's picture

My apologies - I didn't reply clearly. I have no google-chrome, just a folder "chromium" and it contains the following:

Certificate Revocation Lists Safe Browsing Bloom
Channels Safe Browsing Bloom Prefix Set
chrome_shutdown_ms.txt Safe Browsing Cookies
Crash Reports Safe Browsing Cookies-journal
Default Safe Browsing Csd Whitelist
Dictionaries Safe Browsing Download
First Run Safe Browsing Download Whitelist
Local State Safe Browsing Extension Blacklist
pnacl Safe Browsing IP Blacklist

In the BleachBit window do you see an option to clean Chromium? BleachBit separates Google Chrome and Chromium.

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

These are the main groupings. None contain Chrome or Chromium

APT
Bash
Deep scan
Firefox
System
Thunderbird

Does it appear if you start the web browser, exit the web browser, and start BleachBit?

If the answer is no: Is ~/.config/chromium a standard file system (compared to a network drive, for example)? Does ~/.config/chromium use symbolic links?

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

Does it appear if you start the web browser
- Unfortunately, No
Exit the web browser, and start BleachBit?
- No

This is what I have in :~/.config/chromium$

drwx------ 6 ineuw ineuw 4096 Aug 12 22:51 .
drwx------ 32 ineuw ineuw 4096 Jul 6 17:01 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 337201 May 23 01:48 Certificate Revocation Lists
-rw------- 1 ineuw ineuw 22 Feb 23 14:35 Channels
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 4 Aug 12 22:51 chrome_shutdown_ms.txt
drwx------ 2 ineuw ineuw 4096 Feb 23 14:35 Crash Reports
drwx------ 11 ineuw ineuw 4096 Aug 12 22:51 Default
drwx------ 2 ineuw ineuw 4096 Mar 25 09:36 Dictionaries
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 0 Feb 23 14:35 First Run
-rw------- 1 ineuw ineuw 15432 Aug 12 22:51 Local State
drwx------ 3 ineuw ineuw 4096 Aug 12 13:57 pnacl
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 14637952 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Bloom
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 2349352 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Bloom Prefix Set
-rw-r--r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 6144 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Cookies
-rw-r--r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 4640 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Cookies-journal
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 113276 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Csd Whitelist
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 768612 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Download
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 14860 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Download Whitelist
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 35968 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing Extension Blacklist
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ineuw ineuw 380 Aug 8 14:15 Safe Browsing IP Blacklist
ineuw@sanfrancisco:~/.config/chromium$

It looks like it is already clean. One way to check is to create a file that BleachBit would clean like with this command
touch ~/.config/chromium/Default/Cookies
Then restart BleachBit

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

Your instructions are clear, but nothing happened. I used Chromium on sites which I know places cookies and no luck. Is there a way I can re-install BB fresh? or Chromium? Whichever you think would be best. I won't be around to reply for the next 48 hours. Otherwise, many thanks for your support.

I don't think reinstalling would help, but you are welcome to try. Try these commands
sudo apt-get remove bleachbit
rm -rf ~/.config/bleachbit

This will install BleachBit 1.3 beta
cd /tmp
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/bleachbit/files/bleachbit_1.3_all_ubuntu1204.deb
dpkg -i bleachbit_1.3_all_ubuntu1204.deb

To speed up the troubleshooting, consider allowing interactive access to your system (that you can fully supervise) using something like TeamViewer or Chrome Remote Desktop. Feel free to email directly to arrange this.

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

I really appreciate your devoting so much time to the problem. . . .. Before this issue, I was preparing to upgrade to Xubuntu 14.04 - which I did today and installed BleachBit. Only then I realized my problem - which wasn't a problem. You have two BleachBit menu options. All applications are grouped under the "User" accessible BleachBit while the system cleanup are under the "Admininstrator'" accessible Bleachbit. I truly apologize for this ignorance. All applications - including Chrome are now cleanable. Thanks again.

Yes, you were cleaning root's context instead of your individual account. I'll think of a way to make this more obvious (LP#1358570).

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

I looked at it again, from the viewpoint of a minimally knowledgeable Linux user, and came up with two ideas that may help. One is to title limited version as "BleacBit user" just as you have titled the other "BleacBit Administrator", and the second idea is to hide or "grey out" the "APT" and "System" sections in the limited version. APT generates a lot of errors in this version because of lack of admin access and if someone doesn't know why, they will be concerned that something is wrong. I hope this helps.

My short-term idea is
1. When running as a regular user and there is any "access denied" error, make a suggestion to run as administrator
2. When starting as administrator, display a notice that BleachBit will clean root's account and not the individual account

In long term I want to make one startup option where you can authenticate (type a password) to add root privileges to clean the individual account.

What do you think?

---
Andrew, lead developer

ineuw's picture

Any short term idea is good - whatever is easiest for you to program. Naturally, the long term solution with a password method is the best. In a single user environment, everyone has a password. In a multiuser environment there is always an Admin. I am a single user and will gladly test it for you.