BleachBit will not clean "History" Browsing Data in Google Chrome V30.0.1599.66

Forums: 

Hi there:)

I like this BleachBit. It is user friendly, no bells and whistles and is useful. I do feel that it should be able to clean browsing data in Chrome. I could surf in "incognito mode", but it would be much better if BleachBit cleaned Browsing Data in the same way that it does everything else...

Many thanks for a great freeware program - Howard:)

ROCKNROLLKID's picture

I don't use Google Chrome at all, but I did install the version you are using to test your issue out. I did get some errors while cleaning Google Chrome using BleachBit latest beta 1. These are the errors I got:

Delete 0 C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\#SharedObjects
no such function: randomblob: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data
no such function: randomblob: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\History
no such function: randomblob: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Favicons

Delete 512B C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Login Data-journal
no such function: randomblob: C:\Users\Alex\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

Were these the errors you got, too?

Moderator for BleachBit and a maintainer for Winapp2.

Check out my open-source group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

Windows 10 x64 (switching to ReactOS in the future).

I was going to post these errors in a separate post. Yes I do get identical errors to you:) I prefer Firefox to Google, especially since Google installed their own internal Flash, after which I experienced some conflicts with Adobe Flash...

ROCKNROLLKID's picture

Andrew will have to take a look at these once he sees this. It looks like it might be an error in one of the cleaning rules in BleachBit.

Moderator for BleachBit and a maintainer for Winapp2.

Check out my open-source group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

Windows 10 x64 (switching to ReactOS in the future).

Howard: Thank you for reporting this.

ROCKNROLLKID: Thank you for confirming this.

With BleachBit 1.0 beta I do get a similar error while cleaning Google Chrome 30 on Linux. It happens only with the overwrite option enabled, so as a temporary workaround, you may want to disable this option.

This is one of the errors I see:
DatabaseError: no such column: full_path: /home/username/.config/google-chrome/Default/History

I do not see an error about randomblob. That is strange.

The reason for the "full_path" error is Google Chrome 30 changed its database (again).

I plan to address this Google Chrome issue in another beta before BleachBit 1.0 final.

---
Andrew, lead developer

Fixed. Please test BleachBit version 1.0 beta 2. Thanks

---
Andrew, lead developer

The errors are resolved with this new beta version, but browsing data still does not clear in Chrome although I assume that is not a part of this new beta...

I notice in VirusTotal there are 2 detections (that are clearly false positives) from Trend Micro. Always worth pointing out, as some people get neurotic about heuristic detections and wont download software if there! All other virus engines report clean.

The exact detection is:- TrendMicro-HouseCall PAK_Generic.001 20131010. It is listed twice there!

In my tests, the history (CTRL+H) is cleared in Google Chrome.

1. Are you looking in a difference place?
2. In BleachBit, did you use all the Google Chrome Options?
3. Were there are errors in the BleachBit log?

---
Andrew, lead developer

I submitted the false positive to Trend Micro. Now it's up to them. Thanks, and in the future please open a separate thread (because this is about Google Chrome)---this makes it easier for me to manage

---
Andrew, lead developer