BleachBit 0.8.1 Portable won't start

Forums: 
Forum tags: 

Hi,

BleachBit 0.8.1 Portable won't start on my WinXP SP3 machine. The traceback in the "bleachbit.exe.log" file contains the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bleachbit.py", line 42, in
File "bleachbit\GUI.pyo", line 37, in
File "bleachbit\Common.pyo", line 151, in
TypeError: int argument required

Can anybody tell me, what's wrong and how I get the program working?

Thanks

Thanks for pointing this out. This is a bug in a code path triggered in case of another error (when setting an important environment variable). I can fix the bug causing the crash, but I also would like more information, so I can fix the error fixing the environment variable.

Please answer as many of these questions as you know:

1. Which antivirus/security software do you have?
2. Can you temporarily disable it or put it in game mode?
3. Do you have administrator privileges on your machine (typically yes on home machines but not in corporations)?
4. Is your Windows in English or another language?
5. Do you have the directory c:\documents and settings\(your user name)\Local Settings\Application Data ? (To see it, you may need to tell Windows Explorer to show hidden or system files.)

Depending on your answers, I may recommend downgrading to BleachBit 0.8.0 which is on the Old Downloads page

---
Andrew, lead developer

Before the release of 0.8.1, I tested startup on another Windows XP SP3 system, and it worked fine. Now I tested on a different Windows XP SP3 system (with McAfee), but I still can't reproduce the problem, so I am looking forward to your reply to the questions.

---
Andrew, lead developer

Hi Andrew,

many thanks for the fast answer. I really appreciate your support. Now to your questions:

1. Avira Personal (Free Edition), Comodo Firewall, Spyware Terminator - the latest available versions
2. I can temporarlily diasable any of them.
3. I do have admin rights on my machine, although I usually use a limited account. The problem described above occured on a limited account and I haven't tried to run the app on an admin account yet.
4. My Windows is in German.
5. Yes, I do have this directory although due to the fact that my Win is in German the path to it looks like this:
c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\(my user name\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten

I will try to run the app on my admin account and will report how it behaves. I will also try to temporarily disable my security apps one by one and will report what happened.

BTW, I followed your advice and downgraded to the previous (0.8.0) version. It worked fine.

Thanks again for the fast answer.

Greetings

Geddich

I tried to run the app on my admin account, it did not start and the log contained the same information which I have already posted in one of my previous messages.

I also tried to temporarily disable my security programs one by one first and then all together, but no change. Neither on the limited nor on the admin account.

I will stick to the 0.8.0 version first, which seem to work fine and hope you can fix the problem I described above.

Thanks for your work and for this fine piece of software.

Geddich

Hi Andrew,

first of all: great tool! Thanks for that!
But I do experience the exact same problem as Geddich does. There are some similarities and some differences:
- I am using AVG, not Avira
- I do only work as a restricted user but have tried runas admin
- It's a German Windows, too, with C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\(my user name\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten

I downgraded to 0.8.0. but would very much appreciate to upgrade again (mainly because of the new evercookie feature).

Thanks again and all the best to you,
Meks

I realize now it has only to do with non-English Windows XP. You could workaround by setting the LOCALAPPDATA environment variable yourself in a batch file or in the Control Panel, but I hope to have a fix released in about one week.

Also, if you want to clean a browser other than Firefox, you can just copy its .xml cleaner from 0.8.1 to 0.8.0.

---
Andrew, lead developer

Whenever you find the time for fixing this problem, the result will definitely be appreciated. As I am not much of a "programmer" I would like to ask you to post the necessary contents of the appropriate batch file here (for setting the LOCALAPPDATA) if it doesn't bother you too much. I know what a batch file is, how to create one and how to use it.

Greetings

Geddich

Create a file called bleachbit_workaround.bat, put it in the same directory as bleachbit.exe, and these are the contents (not actually tested)

REM Workaround for BleachBit 0.8.1 on German Windows XP
set LOCALAPPDATA=%USERPROFILE%\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten
BleachBit.exe
PAUSE

The last line is optional, but it will show you any errors. If this doesn't work, try replacing %USERPROFILE% with the actual path (including the username).

---
Andrew, lead developer

Many thanks Andrew for all your support. The batch did the trick.

Greetings

Geddich

---
Andrew, lead developer