Errors with last BleachBit build (1.15.420)

Forums: 

Cleaning shows me next errors:
Error wiping path \\?\C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log using defragmentation API so falling back to other method
Error wiping path \\?\C:\Windows\Debug\PASSWD.LOG using defragmentation API so falling back to other method
Error wiping path \\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log using defragmentation API so falling back to other method
Error wiping path \\?\C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log using defragmentation API so falling back to other method

That did'n't happened before, with any previous unstable build.
Windows 8.1 - 64 bits

Thanks.

Two things to check
1. Do you see elsewhere that those files were marked for deletion? Maybe they are locked by another process
2. Are you running with administrator privileges? When BleachBit starts, you may get a prompt for modifying the system. These privileges are required for the new method of wiping files. You can also check in Help - System Information under IsUserAnAdmin

---
Andrew, lead developer

Hello
1. Problem comes from option "Logs" of "System". I closed everything but error is still there.

2. I'm administrator since I'm the one who use this computer.
PD: This appears on System Information: win32com.shell.shell.IsUserAnAdmin() = True

I tried last version (1.15.430) and it's solved. I don't know what was the problem, but it's solved now.
Thanks

I just checked System - Logs checked with 1.15.430 on Windows 10 and did not see those errors in the main application window.

With some files in the text console (bleachbit_console.exe) I see permission denied, and this happens for files locked by an active process. In the main application window the notice is "Mark for deletion," so they will be cleaned when Windows reboots. This is normal.

Please do continue to test the new file shredding feature because it is a complex feature.

---
Andrew, lead developer

Thanks! Useful information.

Do you mean "File" -> "Shred files" -> "Choose files to shred"? 'Cause it works properly.

It makes its job well, anyway, it shows the prompt window "Errors ocurred - See the log file..." (BB v. 1.15.33)

Log file contains this:

DEBUG:root:OS is nt
DEBUG:root:Volume is C:\
DEBUG:root:Compressed: False
DEBUG:root:Encrypted: False
DEBUG:root:Sparse: False
DEBUG:root:[(299951, 299953)]
DEBUG:root:Opened \\.\C:
INFO:root:Attempting direct file wipe.
DEBUG:root:Wiping extent from 299951 to 299953...
DEBUG:root:[(299951, 299953)]
INFO:root:Success!
DEBUG:root:[(29091, 29092)]
DEBUG:root:Wiping extent from 29091 to 29092...
DEBUG:root:[(29091, 29092)]
DEBUG:root:[(103972, 103973)]
DEBUG:root:Wiping extent from 103972 to 103973...
DEBUG:root:[(103972, 103973)]

There are a few ways to trigger the newly-improved shredding code

1. Yes, click File -Shred Files
2. Drag a file from Windows Explorer and drop it onto the BleachBit application window
3. Enable "Overwrite contents" in the preferences, and then clean any normal files by checking the options (such as Firefox cache) and clicking the clean button

---
Andrew, lead developer

Fixing the logging that you saw (DEBUG, INFO) is on my to-do list here: https://github.com/bleachbit/bleachbit/issues/185 I had not noticed it created the file you saw, so that makes it more important.

A contractor wrote the new file shredding code as a stand-alone program, and I have only partially assimilated it. I will finish before the final release

---
Andrew, lead developer

Good to hear you knew about it. I hope you can fix it.

But now (v. 1.15.42) I see again this:
Error wiping path \\?\C:\Windows\Debug\PASSWD.LOG using defragmentation API so falling back to other method

Thanks.

WilliamBE: I see that error still today with locked files, so I created an issue for tracking

https://github.com/bleachbit/bleachbit/issues/190

---
Andrew, lead developer

Thanks for the support, Andrew.