bleachbit_0.8.0-1_all_ubuntu.deb is WRONG for Mepis (and probably other debian based distros as well),isn't kubuntu=kde

Forums: 

About a week ago (Sept. 1,2010), I tried downloading/installing the above mentioned bleachbit program to get rid of, "Recent Document History" in OpenOffice.org. The program works great for this purpose as I've used it before. The problem is, to install a .deb (executable) file is usually (easily) done by just clicking on the download, in this case however, it does'nt install but reports an error, missing file or some such problem. I went back online and tried a, if memory serves, bleachbit_whatever- "_all_debian.deb". This displayed a small pop-up (after clicking to install) explaining three additionall files were needed, which it said it would, "download automatically" and it did, then installed without incident . The problem in that now, I can't locate an "_all_debian.deb", or for that matter an _all_anything but ubuntu.deb file, any info please?

bleachbit_0.8.0-1_all_ubuntu.deb is WRONG for Mepis

Right now the BleachBit 0.8.0 downloads page has downloads for Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04. You should try the Ubunut or Debian that is most similar to your version of Mepis. Sorry, I don't know much about Mepis, and I don't have the resources to make packages for more distributions of Linux.

it does'nt install but reports an error, missing file or some such problem.

Specific, verbatim error messages are helpful.

The problem in that now, I can't locate an "_all_debian.deb", or for that matter an _all_anything but ubuntu.deb file, any info please?

I'm not sure I understand. Did you check the BleachBit-for-Linux downloads page? It lists 4 Ubuntus and 1 Debian package.

---
Andrew, lead developer

MEPIS!!! If your drug of choice is SIMPLYMepis (especially now w/8.5-kde4) go here for BLEACHBIT,,,"http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/bleachbit/download". The download available via SourceForge.net/bleachbit ("bleachbit_0.8.0-1_all_ubuntu1004.deb") will fail to install. The one at the Debian site is the correct program, its a .deb file, so just download and click on it to install, nothin to it, just like eatin lettuce. Mike

Yep, I tried the one debian file on the download page, thats actually the one i'm referring to. My new post has the solution, the one with the debian link, with mepis being a default kde distro, i'm not sure why it would be tied to ubuntu anyway. I'm kinda a semi-noob (also can be said of this blog/posting bizzness as well), but i believe kubuntu is the ubuntu kde distro. Can't believe you responded as fast as ya did, maybe you should rename yourself lightning lol. Thanks a million friend, Mike

Hopefully I didn't come off as a jerk, I had no intention too. As I've observed the one truest thing about all the LINUX community is the sharing/caring giving nature, guess its like a cement that holds many different bricks/blocks together. I salute you for the distros you're able to specifically concentrate on, perhaps we can learn from your example and also contribute one day, if we keep picking it up. Thanks again for the speedy response, I didn't explain much before but this is for a re-install of my mepis linux/win xp dual boot. Regards, Mike

Your Debian 5 Lenny link connects to a .deb package compiled for Ubuntu, and while Ubuntu starts out as Debian, the resulting distribution and its packages, by and large, are not Debian compatible. What this means is that any .deb installer package created and distributed for "Debian" needs to be assembled strictly for Debian, not compiled for Ubuntu and classified as Debian. Installing Debian (proper) packages into a finished Ubuntu distribution can break Ubuntu, the same can be said of installing (or attempting to install) Ubuntu packages into a proper Debian based distribution such as SimplyMEPIS.