BleachBit 1.7.7 beta test results

Forums: 

Tested on Windows 7 64-bit. A shame there is no credit to people who report (thanks person for reporting or thanks person for patch).

- BleachBit is now centered on the screen.

- Disabling confirmation before deleting setting is working.

- Resetting configuration and restarting BleachBit does not result in a crash.

- Cleaning Firefox gives me no red errors (I don't think it ever)

- Additional environment variables, commonappdata, localappdata, music, pictures, video, documents, are working properly with Winapp2. Tested Mozilla logs located in commonappdata directory.

- System logs are being cleaned under %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution.

- Skype uninstallers are being cleaned.

- Recycling Bin is no longer showing files after cleaning with BleachBit, even though there aren't any inside. Tested with a very long named text file with some Unicode characters.

- Deep scan is finding %USERPROFILE%.

- Most recently used on the start menu is being cleaned and files are re-added properly.

- Tested a 230 character text file in %TEMP% and it was cleaned successfully.

- Tested a text file with many Unicode characters and it was cleaned successfully.

I don't have anything called %TEMP%\Low in WinDir\Temp or in Local\Temp folder. Is there suppose to be that in one of those?

bsodx2's picture

I had the same results on win8 64-bit. One maybe bug is I now have the Thunderbird category listed without having Thunderbird installed.

Edit: Tracked it down to [Thunderbird Maintenance Service*] it's picking up my firefox logs.

ROCKNROLLKID's picture

That is on Winapp2's side. Feel free to make the changes and submit them to Winapp2.

Moderator for BleachBit and a maintainer for Winapp2.

Check out my open-source group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

Windows 10 x64 (switching to ReactOS in the future).

bsodx2's picture

I'm not sure it is a winapp2 bug. If C:\ProgramData\Mozilla\logs\ is empty I don't see Thunderbird listed, But if there are logs then it shows.

[Thunderbird Maintenance Service*]
LangSecRef=3030
SpecialDetect=DET_THUNDERBIRD
Default=False
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Mozilla*\logs|*.*|REMOVESELF
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Mozilla*\logs|*.*|REMOVESELF

ROCKNROLLKID's picture

Ah OK. I thought you meant your issue was that Thunderbird Maintenance was being because you have Firefox and not Thunderbird. Then this issue is most likely because BleachBit does not support SpecialDetect= which has been filed here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bleachbit/+bug/1438015

Check out my open-source group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

Yes, BleachBit 1.7.7 ignores SpecialDetect, so it must be enabling the Thunderbird section because a file exists in FileKey1.

Thank you both for testing.

---
Andrew, lead developer

About credits for patches and reporting: during a full release I note credits (and perhaps need to be more careful about this), but I can see how it would be useful in a beta release too, so for now I added a link to changes on GitHub. There was also a new link the bug tracker, which has details on who reported the bug.

Yes, there should be a Low Folder under %TEMP%. It was probably deleted by BleachBit 1.6, but you may not miss it unless you try printing from Internet Explorer. For more info, see bug 1421726 and Microsoft KB 973479.

---
Andrew, lead developer

ROCKNROLLKID's picture

Tested on my Ubuntu 14.04 (bare with me, I am still a noob to Linux). Everything the same as my previous test results plus the following results

- Not getting any GTK+ error messages when opening up the GUI.

- Localizations are being cleaned Successfully.

One issue though:

- Error messages are reading errno instead of error. The following is an example:

[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-updates_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages'

Thank you for testing on Ubuntu, ROCKNROLLKID.

I get the same error messages in BleachBit 1.6 and BleachBit 1.7.7.

BleachBit 1.7.7 without overwrite
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_utopic_restricted_binary-i386_Packages'

BleachBit 1.6 without overwrite
[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_utopic_restricted_binary-i386_Packages'

BleachBit 1.6 with overwrite
[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_utopic_restricted_binary-i386_Packages'

BleachBit 1.7.7 with overwrite
[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_utopic_restricted_binary-i386_Package

---
Andrew, lead developer