BleachBit 1.6 fixes important bug for Google Chrome, Windows, and KDE, and it better cleans Google Chrome and Firefox.
These are the changes since version 1.4:
- Google Chrome: fix error "Favicons is version 29"
- Google Chrome: clean application cache directory.
- Google Chrome and Chromium: in the Preferences (JSON) file clean a list of HTTP servers that used SPDY, which can be used to track servers to which the browser was connected
- Firefox: clean more session restore files
- Firefox: clean bookmark backups using a new option called Backup.
- The auto-hide option, which was removed in version 1.0, is available again.
- Specific to Linux
- Google Chrome: delete Sync Data Backup
- Chromium: delete application cache directory
- Print a message when root account is being cleaned to avoid confusion
- Whitelist more KDE IPC files under /tmp/ to fix problem launching BleachBit as root
- Specific to Windows
- Google Chrome: clean GPUCache directory
- Show BleachBit version in the Control Panel in Add/Remove Programs
- Support silent installation when previous version is already installed
- Fix a crash on startup if a fixed drive would not report its free space. This may happen with Microsoft Office 2012 Click and Run.
- Fix a crash on startup if %USERPROFILE\Local Settings\temp\ does not exist.
- Update Chinese (Traditional) translation thanks to Pin-hsien Li.
- Update English (United Kingdom) translation thanks to Alfredo Hernández.
- Update Finnish translation thanks to Jiri Grönroos.
- Update Galician translation thanks to Marcos Lans.
- Update German translation thanks to Daniel Winzen.
- Update Hebrew translation thanks to Yaron.
- Update Italian translation thanks to Carml, Jacopo Tumminello.
- Update Malay translation thanks to abuyop.
- Update Russian translation thanks to Eugene Marshal, ☠Jay ZDLin☠.
- Update Slovenian translation thanks to Matej Urbančič.
Be a translator?
Windows users who try to wipe free disk space in %TEMP% (the default setting) will see the error "[Errno 2] No such file or directory." When this process works, it is normally very slow (minutes or hours), but with the error, it completes quickly. There are two workarounds (choose one):
- In the Preferences, change the overwrite path from %TEMP% to C:\
- Use BleachBit 1.7.7 beta.