BleachBit 1.17 beta
Please test BleachBit 1.17, which replaces BleachBit 1.15 alpha. Since BleachBit 1.12 there have been many big changes "under the hood" to the underlying parts of the system and that affect many parts of the application, so your help is appreciated to test a wide variety of the BleachBit's functions on many systems.
This is an incomplete list of changes:
- There is a fix for handling special characters in usernames (LP#1347644). If there is a bug in this fix, it could affect handling of a file with a normal name.
- The shredding of individual files for Windows for NTFS and FAT systems is improved.
- Files can be dragged dropped onto the BleachBit window for shredding.
- If you use a non-English language, check the translation system is working properly. Every string that is translated in Launchpad should be working in BleachBit. Any untranslated in BleachBit should not be translated in Launchpad. If a string is untranslated in BleachBit and does not exist in Launchpad, file a bug.
These tests are for both Windows and Linux.
- Enable notification of updates. BleachBit should check for updates without an error.
- Enable "overwrite contents" and clean SQLite databases.
- Clean HexChat (X-Chat).
- Shred files, attempt to recover them with an undelete utility, and verify the contents are unrecoverable.
- The installer executable and application executable should be digitally on all modern versions of Windows starting with Windows XP SP3. You should not get the "unknown publisher" warning.
- Clean Windows Explorer - Thumbnails, and explorer.exe should restart without administrator privileges.
- Clean any application that checks whether a process is running: Adobe Reader, Firefox, Google Chrome, Skype, VLC, etc. When the application is running, it should detect it and abort the cleaning of that application. When the application is not running, the cleaner should run.
- Preview the Recycle Bin, and verify the preview does not empty the Recycle Bin.
- Clean Warzone 2100.
To test UTF-8 support, please:
- Install the new version of BleachBit (or unpack the portable version).
- Run it normally and use it as you normally would.
- Click File - Shred Settings and quit.
- Run it again.
- Shred a file with a name like ɡælɪk
- Create a Windows user account with special characters such as ɡælɪk
- Run it again.
Check that the application works normally and there are no error messages.
- Use any of the 19 cleaners that now use the XDG directory specification.
- There should be AppData information in the GNOME and KDE Software centers.
- On Ubuntu or Debian, use the menu shortcut to launch as administrator.
- Clean journald.
- Clean apt - autoremove.
- Whitelisting should protect both the link source and target (LP#1455959).
- Install the Fedora 25 .rpm package
- Install the Ubuntu 16.10 .deb package
- Install the openSUSE_Leap_42.x package (coming soon).
See the downloads folder.